The script for Jobs, the movie starring Ashton Kutcher as the visionary Apple co-founder, is heavy with quotes that reflect Jobs’ business philosophy and approach to life.
Below are ten of the best quotes from Jobs(film):
- I’m not dismissing the value of higher education; I’m simply saying it comes at the expense of experience.
- The greatest artists like Dylan, Picasso and Newton risked failure. And if we want to be great, we’ve got to risk it too.
- How does somebody know what they want if they haven’t even seen it?
- Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.
- I would rather gamble on our vision than make a ‘me, too’ product.
- We’ve got to make the small things unforgettable.
- Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently…they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
- You’ve got to have a problem that you want to solve; a wrong that you want to right.
- It [what you choose to do] has got to be something that you’re passionate about because otherwise you won’t have the perseverance to see it through.
- In your life you only get to do so many things and right now we’ve chosen to do this, so let’s make it great.
Here are 10 more quotes from Steve Jobs, the man himself:
- If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.
- Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do.
- Here’s to the crazy ones — the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things. They push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
- Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
- If you keep your eye on the profit, you’re going to skimp on the product. But if you focus on making really great products, then the profits will follow.
- If you don’t love something, you’re not going to go the extra mile, work the extra weekend, challenge the status quo as much.
- That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex. You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.
- You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
- I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what’s next.
- Let’s go invent tomorrow instead of worrying about what happened yesterday.
Watch Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
To end off:
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish